Karen Serfis is a HUD certified housing counselor working in Arlington, Virginia, where she works on promoting and expanding homeownership opportunities for people and families who want to purchase their first home in the area.
Do you want to learn how to buy a house? Join our 10-Day Home Buying Course, delivered every morning in your inbox for free.
To Tips for Buying a Home
What is your biggest piece of advice you can give to someone trying to buy their first home now
- Educate yourself and identify when you’d like to buy.
What have you seen are the top mistakes homebuyers make? How can they avoid them?
- Not understanding your real commute time is one of the biggest mistakes home buyers make. They drive during the weekend and forget to check their commute time during the weekdays, when they really commute to work.
- Not saving enough money is also a huge mistake because there are many other costs (like moving, or problems with your property) that you’d need to face.
What could help first time home buyers save time?
- Know the process, become educated!
- Pull your credit before you buy your home because some times the issues in your credit report will take 6 months to fix. Also pull your credit using the FICO model because that is the credit report that mortgage lenders use.
What could help first time home buyers save money?
- Create a budget to buy a home and automatically deduct each month part of your budget (and put it in a different account) so that you don’t see or spend that money.
How can first time home buyers choose the best professionals to work with?
- First find a HUD provider in our the website,
- Regarding realtors and lenders, make sure they focus on first time home buyers because not all agents like to focus on first time home buyers (usually top producers don’t)
Is there anything we can do for you?
- Make sure you do your homework before buying a home. Make also sure you have a stable income and you know where you’d want to buy your home. To do that, walk around several areas to find your perfect location.
- Telephone number: 703-517-3854
1) Join our 10-Day Home Buying Course, delivered every morning in your inbox for Free.
2) Go through the most comprehensive How To Buy A House Checklist to make sure you buy your home with confidence without ever missing a step!