Shashank Shekhar is one of the leading mortgage experts in the country and the CEO of Arcus Lending, a mortgage lender based in Silicon Valley. Shashank is also the author of the best-selling book “My First Home” an avid blogger. He has been featured on various media including Yahoo! News, FOX, The Washington Post and The Huffington Post.
Do you want to learn how to buy a house? Join our 10-Day Home Buying Course, delivered every morning in your inbox for free.
Top Tips for Buying a Home
What is your biggest piece of advice you can give to someone trying to buy their first home now
- There’s no perfect home. Before you start looking, list your must-haves (like location, schools, etc) and your nice-to-haves (like marble counter top). Then focus on your must-haves because you can always change the other ones later on.
What have you seen are the top mistakes homebuyers make? How can they avoid them?
- Not getting pre-approved on time. Coming too late for a pre-approval letter and then getting discouraged because you’ve already found a great home.
What could help first time home buyers save time?
- Educate yourself and pick the right team.
What could help first time home buyers save money?
- Work with the right lenders because they have access to many different loan programs (we have access to around 80 different ones). Make sure you choose your mortgage wisely because that is the single most expensive thing that you pay for when you buy your home.
How can first time home buyers choose the best professionals to work with?
- The first thing is ask your friends and family for recommendations. Then you can do an online search, focus on professionals with at least 15 reviews. Also investigate these people, go to their websites and make sure they are a professional fit. Then interview them and make sure there’s good chemistry and that they are also a good personal fit.
Is there anything we can do for you?
- Educate yourself! You can do that by going to my personal blog (https://www.mortgageblog.com/) and reading any of my books
- You can send me an email to: email@example.com
1) Join our 10-Day Home Buying Course, delivered every morning in your inbox for Free.
2) Go through the most comprehensive How To Buy A House Checklist to make sure you buy your home with confidence without ever missing a step!