Phyllis J. Edwards is the executive director for Bridging Communities, a non-profit in Southwest Detroit whose primary focus is eldercare case management, affordable housing and neighborhood stabilization.
Do you want to learn how to buy a house? Join our 10-Day Home Buying Course, delivered every morning in your inbox for free.
Top Tips for Buying a Home
What is your biggest piece of advice you can give to someone trying to buy their first home now
- Make sure you have savings for your downpayment and for emergencies
What have you seen are the top mistakes homebuyers make? How can they avoid them?
- Not driving around your area before buying a home
- Not checking for the different grants you may have access to before buying a home
What could help first time home buyers save time?
- Get prepared going to workshops
What could help first time home buyers save money?
- Get grants for downpayment assistance
- Have a budget
- Go to classes to learn how to maintain and repair your home (Lowes and Home Depo offer them for free)
How can first time home buyers choose the best professionals to work with?
- First come to a HUD counseling agency so that we can connect you to the best professionals
Is there anything we can do for you?
- Please during COVID make sure you are still making your payments, and if you cannot make them, make sure you tell your lender about it so that you can find a solution together
- Also, if you are looking to buy a home in Detroit, get in touch with us so that we can help you
- Website: https://bridgingcommunities.org/
- Phone: (313) 361-6377
1) Join our 10-Day Home Buying Course, delivered every morning in your inbox for Free.
2) Go through the most comprehensive How To Buy A House Checklist to make sure you buy your home with confidence without ever missing a step!