Alex Doubet is the founder and CEO of Door.com, a full service, next-generation real estate brokerage firm based in Texas. He started the company because of a deep passion for saving homebuyers and sellers money.
Do you want to learn how to buy a house? Join our 10-Day Home Buying Course, delivered every morning in your inbox for free.
To Tips for Buying a Home
What is your biggest piece of advice you can give to someone trying to buy their first home now
- Let life dictate when you purchase your home, not the market because overall buying a home is about looking for a place for you family to live in, not just an investment.
What have you seen are the top mistakes homebuyers make? How can they avoid them?
- Not inspecting the major systems (roof, foundation, etc) thoroughly is a huge mistake that can cost you a lot of money. Make sure you spend the money to hire a great inspector and engineer to do that work. You don’t want to find out something is wrong later on.
What could help first time home buyers save time?
- Look online first to narrow down your area and the type of property you’d like to buy.
- Also, talk to a lender before buying visiting properties to understand how much you can afford and not waste time visiting properties above your budget.
What could help first time home buyers save money?
- Educate yourself in the many loan programs available to you. Sometimes you can access great first time home buyer programs that can allow you to lower your down payment, like the Community Reinvestment Act that I used to buy my first home with only 3% down and no private mortgage insurance.
- Also, never stretch yourself too much, make sure you can afford your monthly payments.
How can first time home buyers choose the best professionals to work with?
- Don’t focus so much in the years of experience they have, but in the number of transactions they have done.
Is there anything we can do for you?
- Sure! If you want to buy or sell a property in Texas, get in touch with us
1) Join our 10-Day Home Buying Course, delivered every morning in your inbox for Free.
2) Go through the most comprehensive How To Buy A House Checklist to make sure you buy your home with confidence without ever missing a step!