Susan Colbert is the Community Expansion and Engagement Program Director for Ohio State University Extension in Franklin County, Ohio. Under her leadership, her team offers a vast array of programs in the community to help improve the quality of life of residents, including helping first time home buyers.
Do you want to learn how to buy a house? Join our 10-Day Home Buying Course, delivered every morning in your inbox for free.
Top Tips for Buying a Home
What is your biggest piece of advice you can give to someone trying to buy their first home now
- Make it a priority to take time to get educated because if not others may take advantage of you.
What have you seen are the top mistakes homebuyers make? How can they avoid them?
- You have to have skin in the game. Save money to buy your home because even if you get down payment assistance you’ll have to pay for other expenses, like repairs.
- Also keep your credit in good standing and be disciplined.
What could help first time home buyers save money?
- Clean up your credit score (by yourself) to avoid high fees from lenders
How can first time home buyers choose the best professionals to work with?
- Interview them and know the questions to ask them.
Is there anything we can do for you?
- Come to our workshops and get the word out about us and HUD.
1) Join our 10-Day Home Buying Course, delivered every morning in your inbox for Free.
2) Go through the most comprehensive How To Buy A House Checklist to make sure you buy your home with confidence without ever missing a step!