Hello and welcome back to The First Time Home Buyer Podcast! I’m thrilled to be back with you for a brand new season. It’s been a while, and I appreciate your patience. Today, we have a special episode in store for you as we catch up on what’s been happening in my life and the real estate world.
My Story: Making Home Buying Easier
In the last four years, my story has been all about making buying a home easier. I went through a tough time buying my own home in New York City – it was super confusing and stressful. The professionals I worked with weren’t the best, and I felt clueless and embarrassed.
That’s when I decided to create The First Time Home Buyer Podcast and HomeFlow, an all-in-one platform to help people buy homes.
Techstars Experience: Pivoting to Help Employees
Over the past year, I got involved with Techstars, which was an incredible experience. I made a big change with HomeFlow, deciding to sell the solution directly to companies and their employees. This shift aimed at making the dream of owning a home come true for employees while keeping companies and their workforce happy.
However, after a few months, I realized it would take too long to make deals with companies. So, after some thinking, I decided to go back to helping home buyers directly by creating educational content and restarting the podcast.
Real Estate Market Overview for 2023: A Tough Year
In simpler terms, 2023 was a tough year for both buying and selling homes. Here’s a snapshot:
- Home Prices Went Up: The average price in the U.S. increased from $407,000 in 2022 to $409,000 in 2023.
- Rent Was High: Rent prices peaked at $2,050 in August, leading more people to consider buying despite challenges.
- High Mortgage Rates: Interest rates went above 8%, making mortgages more expensive.
- Low Inventory: Fewer homes for sale due to high mortgage rates and low construction.
- Inflation: Peaked at 6.6% year over year in February, influencing the housing market.
- Homes Took Longer to Sell: Average days on the market increased to 37.
- Price Drops: 15.3% of listings experienced price drops.
- Cash Purchases: Nearly 33% of homes were purchased with all cash.
- Less Competition: Bidding wars decreased with rising mortgage rates.
- Fewer Investor Purchases: Investor purchases dropped by a record 48.6%.
NAR Challenges and Lawsuits: Changing the Game
In addition to market challenges, the NAR (National Association of Realtors) faced lawsuits, potentially changing the way agents get paid. The key impacts include potential changes in agent commissions, impact on costs, transparency and consumer trust, potential new fee structures, uncertainty in the market, shift towards transparency, possibility of more consumer-friendly practices, and exploration of alternative options.
What to Expect for 2024 and Tips to Navigate the Market
- Low inventory means sellers have the upper hand.
- Mortgage rates, although down from their peak, remain high.
- House prices are still high with no signs of decreasing.
- Potential market spur if rates drop further in 2024.
- Don’t buy until interest rates go down, and if you do, ensure you can refinance and cover new costs.
Why I Restarted the Podcast
“Now, you might be wondering why I decided to restart the podcast. Well, despite the challenges, I believe in the importance of providing you with valuable information, especially during these uncertain times. I’m committed to supporting you, the first-time home buyers, and guiding you through the changes in the real estate market.”
What to Expect in Season 2
- More interviews with the best real estate professionals, journalists, technology founders, all supporting home buyers.
- Thank you for being part of The First Time Home Buyer Podcast family. Your support means the world to me, and I’m looking forward to an amazing season ahead.
- Connect with us, subscribe to our new YouTube channel, and share the podcast. Until next time, take care and happy home hunting!
Home Buying Resources
Navigating the world of home buying can be overwhelming, especially for first-time buyers. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of valuable resources to guide you through the process seamlessly.
- 🌟 Find A Real Estate Agent Near Me: Looking for a trustworthy real estate agent in your area? Our referral service connects you with experienced real estate agents near you, ensuring you have the right expert by your side throughout your home-buying journey.
- 🌟 Find A Mortgage Broker Near Me: Securing the right mortgage is crucial. Our network of trusted local mortgage brokers near you helps you find the best rates and terms tailored to your financial situation, making your dream home within reach.
➡️ Free Home Buyer Resources:
- 🌟 Home Buying Checklist: Our comprehensive home buying checklist covers everything you need to consider when buying your first home. From budgeting to inspections, this resource ensures you stay organized and avoid common pitfalls.
- 🌟 Best Home Buying App: Our app is one of the best home buying apps in the market that simplifies your search, organizes your preferences, and keeps you informed about the latest development on your home buying process. Finding your dream home has never been more convenient.
- 🌟 Homes For Sale Aggregator: Our aggregator compiles listings from various sources, providing you with a centralized platform to explore available homes. Save time and energy by having all the information you need in one place with our homes for sale aggregator.
- 🌟 First Home Buyer News: Stay in the know with the best newsletter for first time home buyers that delivers curated content, market insights, and expert tips directly to your inbox. It’s the ultimate resource for staying informed and making informed decisions.
- 🌟 Smart Home Buyer Calculator: Dive into the best home buyer calculator that includes 4 powerful calculators to help you understand if you should buy a home or not and understand how much exactly it will cost .
- 🌟 Improve Your Credit Score: Your credit score plays a vital role in the home-buying process. Use our recommended credit score check tool to understand where you stand financially and to improve your credit score so and can pay less on your mortgage.
➡️ Social Media
⭐ YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@iamlauramoreno1
⭐ Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/iamlauramoreno
⭐ Twitter: https://twitter.com/iamlauramoreno
⭐ LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/Iamlauramoreno
⭐ TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@iamlauramoreno
➡️ Hire Me
➡️ Contact Laura
I’d love to hear from you! If you have a longer question, or if you have a business-related inquiry, please send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. I try my best to reply to all e-mails but sometimes I do not have enough time to respond to everyone.
Laura Moreno is not a practicing tax accountant or a licensed attorney or financial adviser. Therefore, the information in these videos shall not be relied upon as tax, legal, or financial advice from a qualified perspective. If you need such advice, please contact a qualified tax accountant, attorney, or financial adviser. We have taken reasonable steps to check that the information in this video is accurate but we cannot represent that it is free from errors. You expressly agree not to rely upon any information contained in this video – it is for entertainment purposes only. This video description may contain affiliate links that allow you to easily find the items mentioned in my videos as well as support the channel at no cost to you.