Kenneth Bigos is the director of the Affordable Housing Centers of Pennsylvania, a HUD-approved non-profit organization providing services to the greater Philadelphia region since 1985. In the last 12 months AHCOPA has educated 1800 households with the home buying process in our classes, provided one on one guidance to 1200 aspiring homebuyers and helped approximately 500 households realize homeownership.
Do you want to learn how to buy a house? Join our 10-Day Home Buying Course, delivered every morning in your inbox for free.
Top Tips for Buying a Home
What is your biggest piece of advice you can give to someone trying to buy their first home now
- Make sure you choose a realtor specialized in first time home buyers. To find one, interview several realtors and ask how many properties they sell, in which price range, and how many he sells to first time home buyers
What have you seen are the top mistakes homebuyers make? How can they avoid them?
- Not getting educated first
- Buying a house beyond their means
- Not vetting their realtor
- Not doing a home inspection
What could help first time home buyers save time?
- Getting educated first. Come to one of our HUD certified courses
What could help first time home buyers save money?
- Get first time home buyer grants from the government or from lenders
- Talk to lenders and compare their mortgages
- Build your credit score
How can first time home buyers choose the best professionals to work with?
- Interview them. Make sure they focus on first time home buyers
Is there anything we can do for you?
- Spread the word about the services HUD offers to first time home buyers
1) Join our 10-Day Home Buying Course, delivered every morning in your inbox for Free.
2) Go through the most comprehensive How To Buy A House Checklist to make sure you buy your home with confidence without ever missing a step!