Athena Williams is the Executive Director of Oak Park Regional Housing Center, in Illinois, where they focus on Fair Housing to assist individuals with expanding their housing options through rental and homeownership.
Do you want to learn how to buy a house? Join our 10-Day Home Buying Course, delivered every morning in your inbox for free.
To Tips for Buying a Home
What is your biggest piece of advice you can give to someone trying to buy their first home now
- Have at least $10,000 in savings (for a property worth $250k) because to buy a home you have to pay for many other expenses.
- It is also recommendable to save 6 months of your living expenses for emergencies before you buy your first home.
What have you seen are the top mistakes homebuyers make? How can they avoid them?
- They let other pull their credit report too often which impacts your credit score and lowers your changes of owning a home. Protect your credit, every point matters!
What could help first time home buyers save time?
- Go to a HUD counseling agency first. We are unbiased. They government pay us to give you our services for free.
- Know what you want in a home.
What could help first time home buyers save money?
- Develop a budget to save money for your first home. Track all your expenses and try to cut the ones that you can.
How can first time home buyers choose the best professionals to work with?
- First come to a HUD agency because we give you objective information.
- We will then give you recommendations for agents, lenders, etc and a list of questions to interview each of them.
Is there anything we can do for you?
- Get in touch if you are looking to buy a property in Illinois.
- Be responsible with your finances
1) Join our 10-Day Home Buying Course, delivered every morning in your inbox for Free.
2) Go through the most comprehensive How To Buy A House Checklist to make sure you buy your home with confidence without ever missing a step!